An 18-year-old man armed with a sword attacked a school on Friday, Aug 21 in central Sweden, killing one person and seriously injuring at least two others, police said.
Police Chief Tommy Alriksson told a news conference that the suspect had been arrested following the attack at Brinell School, in the central town of Fagersta, northwest of Stockholm.
Police confirmed shots were fired during the arrest, and the dead person was found as officers entered the school to secure the premises. It remained unclear whether the suspect was injured, though he was in custody rather than being treated in hospital.
The attack occurred while classes were in session, with roughly 400 to 500 students on site. There was no immediate word on the attacker’s motive. “We have no reason at this time to believe that there are multiple perpetrators,” Alriksson said, adding that the investigation was continuing.
National police said investigators had already carried out two house searches linked to the suspect, with many witnesses expected to be interviewed. “That’s why we can’t give out too much information, because we don’t want to influence witnesses,” Alriksson said.
Vastmanland County said the two seriously injured were boys aged 12 and 17, the TT news agency reported. Details of the person who died were not immediately released.
Police spokesperson Pelle Vamstad, quoted by TT, said an alarm was received in the early afternoon. Police cordoned off a wide area around the school, and several nearby schools were locked down as a precaution, with roadblocks set up.
Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson wrote on X that he lamented the violence in Fagersta “right after the summer break.” “We do not yet know what lies behind the act, but we know that the police are working very intensively,” he said. “Our thoughts are with all those affected.”
The Fagersta city government set up a crisis centre in a sports hall near the school. Vastmanland County said “many people” were affected, with police, fire services and healthcare workers caring for them.
